Problems opening PDFs
If you get an error message from Adobe Acrobat saying
The file is damaged and could not be opened, or Expected a dict. object, or your browser hangs and the PDF does not open:
This can almost always be fixed by temporarily swapping your browser/Acrobat settings between having Adobe Acrobat open PDFs in your browser (default) or in a new window. If you have this setting Enabled, swap to Disable, and vice versa.
- For Acrobat X1 follow the relevant instructions for you browser in Acrobat Help.
- Close all your browser windows down and re-open before trying your PDF link again.
- You may need to reverse this settings for other PDFs.
For older Acrobat versions:In Adobe Acrobat disable the fast view, and Display PDF in browser options.
- Close your browser.
- Open Adobe Reader.
- Go to the Edit menu and select Preferences
- In the left column select Internet
- Uncheck Allow fast web view
- Uncheck Display PDF in browser
- Click OK, and try again
The PDFs will display in a separate window rather than in your browser window.