University of Sydney Law Library
Free Web Law
- Hansard/ Parliamentary Debates
- Acts and Regulations
- Industrial Awards and Agreements
- International Organisations
- Current interest
- Legal Electronic Journals
- Update Bulletins/ Legal News Services
- Parliament of Australia Hansard home page contains links to Senate and House of Representatives (1996 + only) and a search engine (look under "Comprehensive search" on homepage.
- Australian Federation fulltext database from University of Sydney Library's SETIS program
- NSW ParliamentHansard
- ACT Hansard
- Northern Territory Hansard
- Queensland Parliament Hansard
- Queensland Parliament Hansard - historical versions
- South Australian Parliament Hansard
- Tasmanian Parliament Hansard for House of Assembly and Legislative Council
- Victorian Parliament Hansard
- Western Australian Hansard - Daily Transcripts and Index
- New Zealand Hansard Current year only
- UK Hansard - Commons and House of Lords
- U.S.Congressional Record
see also related links Government Sites
NOTE: for subscription services, see our Law Databases - Legislation page
- CommonwealthBills Digest: contains bills summaries and related material, (produced by the Parliamentary Library)
- Index to Explanatory Memoranda 1901-1982 - for an index to Explanatory Memoranda 1901-1982. From 1982 - they are listed in BillsNet.
- Parliament of Australia - Bills Section the text of bills, Daily Bills List, Explanatory Memoranda (linked to individual bills)
- Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia for related parliamentary materials and Guide to Australian legislation from the Australian Parliamentary Library. A guide to the passage of legislation, statutory interpretation etc., with links
- ComLaw - Commonwealth bills and explanatory memoranda from 1996 by year, title and portfolio.
- LAWLEX from Anstat. Bills from the Commonwealth, NSW, Victoria and Queensland, and Explanatory Memoranda ( click here to request password for alert service)
- GovPubs: the Australian Government Publications Guide a guide to bills on the internet
- NSW Parliament. Bills List
- Northern Territory Register of Legislation including links to bills by session, bills by sponsor, and bills currently before the Legislative Assembly
- Victorian Bills and Explanatory Memoranda, including current year and archives containing bills, explanatory memoranda and related resources back to 1996. Choose the Parliamentary Documents link.
- South Australian House of Assembly and Legislative Council Bills
- Queensland bills and explanatory memoranda
- Passage of Bills - Parliament of Tasmania
- Australian Capital Territory bills from the ACT Parliamentary Counsel's Office
- UKParliament - Bills before Parliament
- U.S.Congress (Thomas)
- Canadian bills from the Canadian Parliament site
- South African bills from the South African Government Information homepage
NOTE: for subscription services, see our Law Databases - Legislation pageFree legislation services include:
- ComLaw - Acts, regulations and other legislative materials from the Commonwealth and non self-governing Australian Territories
- Federal Register of Legislative Instruments (FRLI) - Through ComLaw - the official site for Commonwealth regulations, rules, by-laws, disallowable orders, determinations, declarations, proclamations and the legislation of non self-governing Territories.
- LAWLEX Australian legislation, (plus NSW, Qld, NT and Victoria) from Anstat.
- GovPubs: the Australian Government Publications Guide a guide to government publications on the internet
- Guide to Australian legislation from the Australian Parliamentary Library. A guide to the passage of legislation, statutory interpretation etc., with links
New South Wales
- New South Wales legislation from the Parliamentary Counsel's Office. Includes Acts and regulations in force, Acts 'as made' from 1990, and repealed Acts
- New South WalesActs from AustLII New South WalesRegulations from AustLII
- Queensland Legislation from the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel
- South Australian Legislation from the South Australian Parliament
- Index to South Australian public Acts and Regulations from the Australian Law Librarians Group (SA Division)
- Victorian Acts and Statutory Rules from the Victorian Government - select Victorian Statute Book
- Victorian Acts and Victorian Regulations from AustLII
- Western Australian Acts and Regulations from the State Law Publisher of Western Australia
Australian Capital Territory
- Tasmanian Legislation from the Tasmanian Government
- Commonwealth Nations Legislation from CommonLII
- New Zealand Legislation Acts and Regulations, from the NZ Parliamentary Counsel Office
- UK Statute Law Database (provided by the Department for Constitutional Affairs) - the official revised edition of the primary legislation of the United Kingdom made available online. Legislation available from 1267+
- United Kingdom Acts (provided by HMSO) 1988 + only U.K. Statutory Instruments 1987 +
- BAILII, the British and Irish Legal Information Institute, including laws from England and Wales, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and United Kingdom.
- Lawfinder - Provides access to United Kingdom legislation and parliamentary publications, including command papers.
- Legislation of Scotland from HMSO
- Eur-Lex Includes primary materials from the Europan Union.
- Celex European Community's database of legislation, caselaw and publications. (Free access now available) Note: no longer updated since 1 January 2005; it can be used to search for documents dated before 31 December 2004. For current legislation see Eur-Lex.
- German legislation. In German language. Official site from the German Ministry of Justice
- US Code and US Code Popular Names Table (Cornell University)
- U.S. State Law Resources (provided by Findlaw)
- Lexis and Westlaw (access for password holders only)
- Hong Kong ordinances and regulations from the Hong Kong Legal Information Institute (HKLii)
- Consolidated Statutes and Regulations of Canada (Dept. of Justice)
- Canadian Statutes and Regulations from CanLII, the Canadian Legal Information Institute
- Countries of the Pacific legislation from PacLII. Countries include Cook Islands, Fiji Islands, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvulu, Vanuatu etc.
- Philippines laws provided by Chan Robles law firm
- Acts, Bills, Regulations of Thailand from the Thai Law Reform Commission website
- AustlII's World Legislation links - World legislation
- Constitution Finder see also related links Government Sites
Law Databases - Cases page
- AustlII contains caselaw from Commonwealth and most State jurisdictions, including some tribunals.
- High Court cases since 1947, from AustLII
- Federal Court judgments
- Corporate Law Judgments - selected and maintained by the Centre for Corporate Law and Securities Regulation and Faculty of Law, Melbourne University
- Lawlink: New South Wales Court and Tribunal Decisions
(NSW Attorney-General's Department)
Includes Supreme Court cases, 1999- and
Court of Appeal cases, 1999-
NSW Local Court cases, 2002-
NSW District Court Cases, 2006-
- Decisions of the Superior Courts ofNew South Wales, 1788-1899 - selected and edited by Bruce Kercher, Division of Law, Macquarie University
- Australian Capital Territory Supreme Court judgments
- Northern Territory Supreme Court judgments
- Queensland judgments from Jan. 2000 onwards from Queensland Courts
- South Australia Supreme Court judgments from AustLII
- Judgments from various Tasmanian courts from AustLII
- Western Australia Supreme Court judgments from AustLII
- Summaries of recent cases:
Publishers homepages . For example, Lawbook Co. includes Weekly judgment summaries
- WorldLII Select by country or alphabetically by court
- Brooker's Court of Appeal Cases
- Judicial Decisions of Public Interest Selected judgments from the Supreme Court and High Court, from the NZ Ministry of Justice
- New Zealand Courts and Case Law from WorldLII
- Pacific countries from PacLII. Countries include Cook Islands, Fiji Islands (including Fiji Law Reports), Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvulu, Vanuatu etc.
- Supreme Court decisions of the Philippines provided by Chan Robles law firm
- UK, England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland cases (from BAILII, the British and Irish Legal Information Institute)
- UKHouse of Lords (selected, since 1996)
- The WLR Daily summaries of the most recent judgments of the House of Lords, the Privy Council, the Court of Appeal and all divisions of the High Court. Provided by The Incorporated Council of Law Reporting for England and Wales
- TimesLaw Reports: The Times Law Report for today, and facility to search back issues for cases from Jan.1996
- Her Majesty's Court Service including selected judgments from the House of Lords, Supreme Court and Privy Council
- Lawfinder - Provides access to selected United Kingdom, Scottish, Northern Ireland and European cases.
- Proceedings of the Old Bailey containing accounts of over 100,000 criminal trials from 1714, held at London's central criminal court.
- English Year Book Reports, 1268 - 1535 - an index and paraphrase of the printed reports.
Compiled by David J. Seipp
- Hong Kong Legal Information Institute Judgments from the Court of Final Appeal, Court of Appeal, Court of First Instance, District Court,Family Court and Lands Tribunal.
- Court of Justice of the European Communities cases from the Court of Justice and Court of First Instance
- Institute of Global Law Summaries in English of French German and Austrian cases in the fields of constitutional, administrative, contract and tort law.
- U.S.Supreme Court Decisions (searchable database provided by Findlaw)
- Links to US Judgments provided by WorldLII
- Lexis and Westlaw
- Judgments of the Supreme Court of Canada provided through a collaboration between Lexum and the Supreme Court of Canada
- Cases from Canadian courts (Federal and Provincial) from CanLII (Canadian Legal Information Institute)
- The Supreme Court of Japan in English
International Law Courts and Tribunals
- WorldLII's International Courts & Tribunals Project
- Also, see our Weblaw link:
- International Law: Courts, Tribunals and their Decisions
- Australia's Fair Work System: Federal Government Industrial relations information site, containing information about Australia’s national workplace relations system and the Fair Work Ombudsman, with links to Fair Work Australia, the national workplace relations tribunal.
- NewSouth Wales Awards
see our Weblaw Industrial Law Subject Guide for more links
International Law Guide for comprehensive links to international law resources on the Web. For example,
- Australian Treaty List (on Austlii)
- United Nations Treaty Collection Treaty Reference Guide
- UK Treaties Library via BaiLII from 2002
- Pacific Islands Treaty Series via PacLII
- FletcherSchool of Law and Diplomacy Multilateral treaties database
- ENTRI: Environmental Treaties and Resource Indicators
International Law Guide for comprehensive links to international law resources on the Web. For example,