Welcome to the Rare Books and Special Collections Library
The Rare Books and Special Collections Library holds early printed books from Europe, Australia, America and Asia. We also collect high-quality facsimiles, examples of fine printing and binding and modern limited editions. Pre-2013 University of Sydney higher degree theses and University of Sydney publications are also available. There are over 170,000 items in our collections.
- Main collection: early printed books
- Special collections: formed collections on a range of subjects
- Manuscript collections: personal papers, documents, literary manuscripts
- University of Sydney material: publications, literary prizes, college libraries
- Digital format material: scanned images from manuscripts, early texts and illustrated works
- Treasures: some special items from our collection
- Videos: learn more about the treasures in the Rare Books collection
- Archive of Australian Judaica
Our holdings are listed in
- the Library catalogue
- our Special Collections database
- the card catalogue which is located in Rare Books and Special Collections
Accessing Rare Books and Special Collections material
- Fill out a request slip in the Rare Books and Special Collections reception area. Staff will deliver the books to you in the reading room.
- Photo identification is required, for example, University of Sydney library card, driver's licence.
- Photocopying is not permitted. Consult staff about digital photography.
|For all enquiries, contact us via: Ask Us Now|
Level 1, Fisher Library
University of Sydney NSW 2006
Tel: +61 2 9351 2992
Fax: +61 2 9351 7187