3.7 Test yourself
Check your ability to identify key concepts and find reference materials.
Quiz: Research - recognising key concepts and finding materials
Select the best answer for each question.
How would you find a relevant encyclopaedia or dictionary?
- Phone a friend
- Browse in a bookshop
- Use the catalogue, database link and subject guides on the Library homepage, or ask a librarian
- Use the Microsoft Encarta, which was a free giveaway when you got your new computer
What would you use an encyclopaedia or dictionary for?
- To write my entire essay
- As a starting point to clarify terminology or gain an overview of a subject
- As a definitive source of information
- As my contribution to a group project
What are the key concepts for the following assignment topic?
'What is the function of celebrity in contemporary culture?'
- Celebrity, contemporary
- Function, celebrity, contemporary, culture
- Fame, society
- Function, celebrity
What are the key concepts for the following topic?
'Explore the myth of Youth and Youthfulness in Shakespeare's sonnets.'
- Myth, Shakespeare
- Youth, sonnet
- Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare
- Myth, youth, youthfulness, Shakespeare, sonnets
|Remember that once you have searched our library catalogue, you can use this search strategy in other catalogues such as Libraries Australia.|